Self-confidence is about so much more than physical image and it has many benefits for our well-being. In fact, studies have shown that confidence plays a large role in our mental health and, consequently, our achievements.
Confidence helps us confront our fears, tackle life’s challenges, set achievable goals and have a more positive outlook on life. It is this optimism that others find attractive and contagious, allowing healthy social and business relationships to form.
Here are a few tips to building your confidence for success:
1. No more slouching. Just sitting up straight can bring positive thoughts about oneself!
2. Wear what makes you feel great. We tend to feel most confident when we look good.
3. Wear perfume. Recent studies have shown that 90% of women feel more confident when wearing their favourite scent.
4. Take a selfie. Selfies are generally associated with egotism but for those with low self-confidence, a flattering selfie can be very beneficial to a positive body image.
5. Make use of confident body language and affirmations. Striking a “power pose” in the mirror while complimenting yourself can give you the confidence you need for an interview or meeting. Try the Wonder Woman pose with a compliment such as “I have all the skills to become wildly successful.”
6. Listen to positive, uplifting music. Songs with inspiring lyrics and a heavy bass have been shown to promote feelings of power.
7. Pat yourself on the back. Congratulate yourself when you achieve your goals. Personal recognition is key to a confident approach to future goals.