Are you one of those couples that enjoys living a healthy lifestyle only to find all your hard work and good intentions go out the window in the name of love every February? Don’t get us wrong, we support the celebration of love just as much as the next person but there are other ways to show someone you care about them other than the obligatory chocolates, booze and cheesy three-course meal that leaves you feeling more bloated and broke than romantic.
Here are some inspirational ideas that will keep the romance and your health goals alive.
- The couple that works out together, stays together. Work out gear is a great gift for any health-conscious individual. Use your imagination and look for things like a fun gym bag with a motivational saying splashed on the side, a brightly coloured yoga mat or even equipment to work out at home such as a skipping rope or gym ball.
- If water be the source of life, then why would you let your loved one drink out of a boring old plastic bottle that is neither good for their health nor the environment? Opt for a BPA-free bottle with their initial on the side so there’s no confusion about who it belongs too. They’ll stay hydrated and happy all day, every day – and will think of you while using it too!
- Get the day off to a romantic start with breakfast in bed. Deliver a plate of boiled eggs on wholewheat toast with roasted balsamic tomotoes and a small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice or half a grapefruit. Don’t forget to pick a flower from the garden for that extra romantic touch!
- Treat your better half to a special massage when they get home from work to ease away the tension and help release any build-up of toxins. Stock up on a soothing massage oil to enhance the relaxing effect. Better still, book a couple’s massage at your local spa so you both benefit and get to bond at the same time.
- Plan a healthy picnic at home. Lay a blanket out on your lawn or balcony and indulge in all your favourite healthy treats without the temptation of the dessert menu to lead you astray. If it’s a clear night, you’ll be in the perfect position to watch the stars – what could be more romantic?
- Turn it on. That’s the bath taps of course! Run a hot bath with Epsom salts which are known to draw toxins out of the body. Light some lavender scented candles for a truly romantic and relaxing indulgence.
- Curl up on the couch together and watch a classic romcom – the endorphins released from laughing will only add to the romance of the evening.