Getting a balance of protein and carbohydrates after your workout couldn’t be simpler with this low-GI hummus recipe. Chickpeas are a great source of protein and, when combined with a complex carbohydrate such as a whole wheat pita, can be turned into a delicious post-workout snack. This easy low-GI recipe makes two cups of smooth hummus that can be refrigerated and stored.
- 2 cups chickpeas
- ½ tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Optional: jalapeños, herbs and cubed vegetables for variety
- Drain chickpeas and add all ingredients to a blender.
- Puree until smooth. You may need to add more liquid to get a creamier consistency.
- Add any optional ingredient for different variations and mix.
- Empty into a serving bowl and enjoy!
- To store, empty into a jar and refrigerate.